1. Robert Nagle
    Robert Nagle June 6, 2010 at 11:53 am |

The effusiveness of that ending seemed positively Joycean. It’s refreshing that the female is the sexual deviant for a change….

2. R. Ross
    R. Ross June 13, 2010 at 8:24 pm |

Miette
    Happy Joyous Bloomsday I wish you will / are going to read some James Joyce this year. Thanks for all your work. Much encouragement R. Ross, sitting in California

miette June 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm |

Robert, my god, I KNOW. Emshwiller writes the most genuinely complex women in the known universe, as far as I’m concerned. The Mount = required reading.

miette June 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm |

R: I celebrate Bloomsday every year, and this’ll be no different. You still have a day and change to catch up on Miette’s Bloomsdays Past:

5. rula
    rula June 14, 2010 at 9:03 pm |

excellent! amazing details and anxious thinking and of course well read too. I always track down the stories that I like to see if it written similarly to how you read them

6. chris
    chris June 19, 2010 at 6:41 pm |

Finally got around to listening to this one-what a great story! I now have to track down everything else by this author. Why have I never heard of these people before? (And I could hear in your voice how much you liked this one. Unless that was just me.)

7. Short Story Bookclub
    Short Story Bookclub October 16, 2011 at 9:55 am |

So perfectly suited to your voice, this story. When she was nibbling on the cheese near his knees I pictured you taking tiny little bites from a paw-sized chunk of gouda. It made me want to see if I could make a piece of cheese, or indeed, any piece of food, last for 30 minutes (about as long as it took you to read the story, no?).