1. Jim
    Jim January 13, 2010 at 8:49 am |

From Wadworth.com…Panos Ioannides was born in 1935 in Cyprus. Ioannides grew up during a tumultuous period in Cyprus’s history and he often draws on the political conflict that surrounded him during this period when writing his plays, novels, and short stories.

Ioannides story “Gregory” is one of his most famous works. “Gregory” was first published in 1963 and is based on a real incident that took place during the Cypriot Liberation struggle against the British in the late 1950s. The narrator of the story is forced to kill Gregory, a friend who has saved the narrator’s life.

Today, Ioannides also serves as president of the Cyprus Refugees Union.

miette January 13, 2010 at 9:06 am |

Thanks Jim– I did find these few paragraphs, but was surprised that that’s -all- I could find! There is a little acknowledgement in the anthology from which I plucked the story, but his seems far too meaty of a story for it to have so little a presence online.

Keep your eyes peeled!

3. CJ
    CJ January 13, 2010 at 10:09 am |

Unfortunately it seems like a rather common name in Greek. “ΠΑΝΟΣ ΙΩΑΝΝΙΔΗΣ” returns pianos and real estate, among other things.

4. chris
    chris January 13, 2010 at 7:55 pm |

This tiny 2004 article might amuse you-

if only for his opponent’s classic rebuttal “Panos Ioannides complains about everything.” Other than that, I can’t find anything. Great story, though.

5. Tweets that mention Gregory by Panos Ioannides, a Short Story Read at Miette's Bedtime Story Podcast | Miette's Bedtime Story Podcast -- Topsy.com

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mia and miette, miette. miette said: A bedtime story posted at bedtime! Miette's Bedtime Story Podcast goes to Cyprus: http://bit.ly/6Vjg32 Sweet dreams. #podcast […]

miette January 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm |

Thanks Chris!

That’s way better than what I found, which I’ve posted here:

I’m more intrigued by the minute.

And CJ, you’re right– the name turns up everywhere. Although the more I learn about our Panos, the more I wonder if he’s just exceptionally prolific, and all these signs point back to him. That’d be -something-.

7. e.lee
    e.lee January 30, 2010 at 11:59 pm |

had a Cypriot friend mention ‘Gregory’ to me several years ago

thanks for posting, I;d never have found this story elsewhere

8. Clare
    Clare February 15, 2010 at 8:24 am |

Phenomenal story; beautifully read. From the riveting beginning to the murderous, bloody end, I was thoroughly captivated. I must have re-listened to it three times since then. Thank you, Miette, for this fantastic masterpiece of a short story…

9. haris ioannides
    haris ioannides November 25, 2011 at 8:06 am |

Hello, My name is Haris Ioannides, Panos’s son and also his publisher. Was very glad to see this post and I’d like to raise, if I may, a couple of points. It is true that its a relatively common name and I’d like to point out its another person with the same name serving as the Cyprus Refugees Union. This Panos is the President of the Cyprus P.E.N. Center. In addition, we are currently in the process of updating his international profile by including his bio into wikipedia and other online fora. ‘Gregory’ is part of an anthology we brought out in 2009, “Gregory and other stories”. If you’d like to see his full bio, we have created an authors page on amazon. Please let me know if this information is helpful.

10. Hollywood and one of my favorite short stories « Armida Books

[…] Other Stories” which I highly recommend! You will find many students and academics, but also average readers who wrote something about the story “Gregory” (click here for a free […]