1. Jorrin
    Jorrin February 27, 2009 at 6:04 am |

Since you announced you were reading Canadian fiction, I’ve been coming back to your site silently begging for Carol Shields. Thank you for reading my mind!

2. Mary Clare
    Mary Clare February 28, 2009 at 5:09 pm |

I Love your reading (would drop an occasional contribution if you had a PayPal link.) I burn rewritable CDs to listen in bed. One suggestion, I would like to check the end to make sure it all downloaded. (I don’t read the last page of a mystery first, but if picking up a well-used copy might check to see if it is there.) Can’t quite imagine you doing a formal tagline like “You’ve been listening to …” but maybe just a quick “The end”, “Goodnight”, or even that little ding from the start, especially on something like this that seems to end in the middle of a sentence.

miette March 2, 2009 at 10:49 am |

Hi Mary Clare,

Thanks for writing and good suggestion– though I intentionally don’t add any bookend on the tail end of a recording, as I don’t want to distract anyone’s thoughts from the full impact of the end of the story. But given this story, I can see your point… I’ll think of something (the story did end mid-sentence, by the way). I’m glad you’re enjoying the readings.

Also, I could never take donations (much to the chagrin of my own empty pockets) because I enjoy reading to everyone so much, and have discovered the inverse relationship between enjoyment and meansmaking. So, as long as I don’t accept money for this web site, I’ll be certain to continue to have a good time.

That said, I never turn down the gift of a good book, some of which can be found here if you’re ever inclined.

My birthday is in July.

Best,

4. Mr. J.
    Mr. J. March 2, 2009 at 12:36 pm |

I tell the kids that their job is to find themselves in the story. I see now that Carol Shields is right and I have been wrong. Finding oneself in a story is a miracle. We don’t read to find ourselves. We read for an escape, to get out of ourselves. Then, we find ourselves in the story and recognize the story inside of us.

5. Michael Hartford · Listening Room, Volume 2

[…] Miette’s Bedtime Story Podcast: Various Miracles […]

6. Mary Clare
    Mary Clare March 10, 2009 at 3:37 pm |

At the end of “It Was” there is a small thump, like the sound of a book closing? Maybe you could do that more often.
    (PS It’s too long until July.)

7. Mary Clare
    Mary Clare March 12, 2009 at 9:56 am |

Miette, is there a way to contact you privately? Does Amazon have your current address? MC

8. Lori Taylor
    Lori Taylor October 27, 2009 at 6:28 pm |

I have just recently found your podcasts and have returned to my younger days when my mom or grandmother would sit all 5 of us down for a chapter or two, depending on the book, and read until bedtime. While I dont listen at bedtime it does make my workday go a little faster. Thank you so much for the enjoyment you bring. A new friend Lori Taylor

miette October 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm |

Glad to have you listening, Lori, bedtime or otherwise. Hopefully you don’t have to fight all those siblings for use of the ipod. xo — Mtte.