1. a
    a June 8, 2006 at 7:56 am |

One of the greatest endings of any story. But! As much as I like Pevear + Volokhonsky, I think they erred with “bump.” MacAndrew goes:

“And, by the way, have you heard that the Dey of Algiers has a wart right under his nose?”

(He also translates that last header as “da 34 te Mnth. Yr. yraurbeF 349.”)

2. mtte.
    mtte. June 8, 2006 at 8:20 pm |

Okay, on that header, P & V translate it this way:

“The of 34 February th, yrea 349”

with “February” printed upside-down, which is perfect on page, but difficult to read aloud without breaking flow. And yes, “wart” is much better (in the Russian, “wart” (or “bump,” who can say) is the very last word of the text, giving it a much stronger cymbal-crash of punctuation. I’ve found P & V more useful for oral storytelling… the cadence is tighter, and I can skip to it.

Then again, anything written in ‘diary’ form probably isn’t designed for this site’s bastardly purpose.

Does McAndrew’s print upside-down? What’s the original look like? (An image just came to mind, Tristram Shandy printed in Cyrillic — Typesetter’s Hell). But I might be toeing the line of my ken of geekery.

3. Anonymous
    Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 9:00 am |

You read this story so great.
    but
    Nevermind!

4. The Pearl of Toledo | Miette’s Bedtime Story Podcast

[…] to form here’s a nice short one to balance out the more time-demanding Gogol from last time. And let me add that just because it’s short doesn’t mean it’s not gruesome, […]

5. batty
    batty January 13, 2009 at 12:17 pm |

Thank you for introducing me to Gogol’s work, now I can’t read it without saying his full name. 🙂

6. RogerTheDog
    RogerTheDog May 25, 2009 at 12:30 pm |

Thanks for the story. Random dog barkings scared the hell out of me.

7. Laura
    Laura September 10, 2011 at 7:05 am |

Dog scared me too!
    Wonderful reading, really. I live in Shanghai and been trying to get Gogol’s Diary for months now, the only Diary they know is Lu Xun’s, this was a great find!