A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings

by Marquez, Gabriel Garcia

Presenting the first somniloquent entry to this Our Podcast, and if only I were kidding! Regular aural peekers might know Miette as a determined and faithful insomniac, and I wouldn’t dare disappoint. Upon waking this morning I found this file on my desktop, with the book on my desk and no recollection at all of having gotten up or read the thing. But here it is, in whatever shape, and so this very sleepy edition is yours alone to enjoy allthesame and as you will…

Other stories you'll like:

1. Dream of a Ridiculous Man (2 of 5)
  2. Dream of a Ridiculous Man (5 of 5)
  3. On Hope
  4. The Young Man Who Discovered the Secret of Life

1. Trevor
    Trevor March 17, 2007 at 5:54 am |

Any opinions on these study aids? It’s kind of a shame that most kids only get exposure to a story like this with the condition of assessment attached.

miette March 17, 2007 at 1:46 pm |

Precisely Trevor, and more than Kind Of A Shame: while there’s use in gathering interpretations of a text, positioning them as anything -but- interpretations (study aids read to me as unequivocally authoritative: This Is What It Is) is an easy way to filter the joy right out of the experience. That said, am always open to interpretations or thoughts…

3. Rudy
    Rudy February 9, 2008 at 5:35 pm |

It’s the American way. Eliminate the soul.

4. Michelle
    Michelle April 12, 2011 at 6:20 am |

i can barely understand her :/

5. Michelle
    Michelle April 12, 2011 at 6:24 am |

its a great story, though =)

miette April 12, 2011 at 7:00 am |

Hi Michelle,

A lot of the recordings from 2005 are in fairly rotten punk-rock shape, as I was only beginning to get the hang of recording technology and methods. I’m always happy to re-record these early stories on request, so you just have to let me know (it is a great one!).

If it’s my accent you can’t understand, there’s not much I can do about that… I’m of the mind that if you don’t like what’s available for free on the internet, you should put what you like on the internet, in the interest of keeping the signal-to-noise ratio from flatlining entirely.

So, I’d be happy to host your reading of the story, if you’d like to read it yourself. Let me know!

Otherwise, if you’re looking for more information or the text, I recommend starting here:

– Mtte.