An Ideal Family

by Mansfield, Katherine

Am almost too beat to read this evening, but like dear Mr. Neave, I press on. Enjoy a crackling, hoarse, stammering attempt to clamber through Katherine Mansfield’s An Ideal Family, one of the great short stream-of-conscious experiments. Some nights, when I can sleep, I have clay-puppet-wrestling-match dreams of Mansfield and Va. Woolf, and if only I had a television and creative control over the network that produces that stuff, I could make all my dreams come true. Easy to please, Miette.

This of course is from The Garden Party
The Garden Party, and if I ever wake up, I’m sure I’ll have read all the stories from this collection by the time I’m reflecting on the wasted hours of my youth. This can also be found online, on Project Gutenberg and elsewhere.

1. blurberger
    blurberger March 18, 2005 at 5:24 am |

cool site. are you as hot as you sound?

miette March 20, 2005 at 6:47 am |

I’m afraid I must be.

3. Scoot
    Scoot March 23, 2005 at 2:24 am |

Hot or not, I love your readings and Katherine Mansfield especially. However, I must say the poor sound quality sometimes makes this and others of your podcasts a little less pleasant than they can be. Is there any way you can adjust the settings to a higher quality? Maybe you don’t have the means or desire or technical know-how–I know quality means bigger file size, so sorry if I’m sounding kvetchy about something you’re giving us free. Next I’ll be complaining about font sizes or something.

4. Shreyas M Gune
    Shreyas M Gune March 1, 2008 at 10:55 pm |

Well , I have to admit something , you read pretty good. I wont complain about the sound quality , for the sheer obviousness of the intricate joy that one feels when one hears a stupendous , calmly penetrating voice , narrating out , a rather touching story , with such involvement and emotional participation. This really helps , specially on the eve of the most important assesment of one’s life. This podcast helped me a lot during my pre-exam day preps for the ISC 2008 Board Examinations held in India. Im sure , such wonderful enthusiasm for English language and what its possibilites have to offer , re-ignites all across the world. Im glad I stumbled across this site. Much Thanks ~ Cherio!

5. Tanya Singh
    Tanya Singh November 30, 2008 at 8:39 am |

Wow. U read out really well…. really really well.. and ur british accent is so warm… it really made me imagine the story in my mind’s eye and helped me understand it.. im so glad i found this site it will really help me in my examinations now.. (ISC 2010).. thank u 🙂

6. tracey
    tracey February 15, 2009 at 6:39 pm |

Hello to all you katherine Manfield Fans. Please take a trip to our website Katherine Mansfield Society and join us in preserving and honouring this great woman of modernist writing

7. jojo
    jojo April 15, 2009 at 8:06 am |

hi dudes
    i was jus searching for notes when i ended up here can any one help me where to find notes for isc stories

8. jojo
    jojo April 15, 2009 at 8:08 am |

aah i forgot their right u really read well